Windows Vista Security and Privacy freeware 2012
Windows Vista Security and Privacy freeware 2012
There are many free antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware and other security freeware out there, but there are only a handful that are stable, reliable and do an excellent job. In this post, i will add just the security freeware worth installing, freeware that have been around for a long time, have a good user rating and based on my own experience with each and every one of them.
At the moment, my computer is running with Avast Free antivirus, Malwarebytes as malware and spyware figher, WOT and AVG as link scanner, and the built-in Windows Firewall – and that’s because i am trying to see if i can find any software to help me improve the simple protection of Windows Vista firewall. If that fails, i will switch to Comodo Firewall.
So here they are:
1) avast! Free Antivirus is my favorite of all and i highly recommend it. It’s light, it doesn’t use too many CPU resources and for a free antivirus, it does an amazing job. It has a built-in anti-spyware and malware feature.
Link to Avast Website
- On Demand Scanner – with Skinnable Simple Interface – just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button.
- On Access Scanner – resident scanning of all files being opened, read and written and behavior blocker monitoring dangerous actions of viruses.
- E-mail scanner easily integrates with most mail clients and it checks both incoming and outgoing mails, it provides heuristic analysis of mail content to protect against new Worms.
- Network Shield – scans traffic for malicious content – lightweight Firewall….
- Automatic update functionality
- The AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
- The AVG E-mail Scanner, which protects your e-mail
- The AVG On-Demand Scanner, which allows the user to perform scheduled and manual tests
- Free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product…
3) Avira Free Antivirus seems to be a really good antivirus. It’s been classified as nagware because it asks the user to install a toolbar, but you don’t have to install it.
Link to Avira Website
- Extensive Malware Recognition of viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, worms, etc.
- Automatic incremental updates of antivirus signatures, engine and entire software.
- Permanent virus protection, with Virus Guard real time monitoring.
- Install and configuration in just a couple of steps, setup to protect your PC in minutes.
- Virus protection against known and unknown threats, using an advanced heuristic system.
- Rootkit Detection and Removal…..
1) Comodo Firewall – started as a good firewall and became one of the best free firewalls around.
- Default Deny Protection – Makes sure that only known PC-safe applications execute
- Prevention-based security – Stops viruses and malware before they access your computer…so it isn’t too late to stop them.
- Auto Sandbox Technology – The sandbox is a virtual operating environment for untrusted programs – ensuring viruses and other malicious software are completely isolated from the rest of your computer
- Personalized alerts – Firewall remembers which software is allowed to operate and changes its alerts accordingly.
- Cloud based Behavior Analysis – Cloud based behavior analysis system detects zero-day malware INSTANTLY.
- Cloud based White-listing -Cloud based white-listing of trusted publisher easily identifies a safe file and vendor
2) Outpost Firewall Free - it’s easy to use, light and offers an effective protection on the incoming-outgoing traffic on your computer. It also supports plugins.
- Basic Firewall Protection – Standard packet and application filtering safeguard your computer from unwanted communications.
- Connections Monitoring – Lets you see network activity in real time, to help define inappropriate connections and close them right away.
- Surfing Protection – Maintains your privacy on the Internet, keeps browser protected from Internet dangers.
3) Privacyware PrivateFirewall – offers an easy to use and manage interface and a good defense against known malware, hacking, phishing and other threats.
Anti-spyware and anti-malware freeware:
Note: Avast Free, AVG free and Avira antivirus software have already a good built-in protection against spyware, malware and link scan – see the links above.
For extra protection:
1) Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware Free – does an excellent job, but the free version doesn’t have the real-time active prevention enabled.
- Advanced Malware Detection and Removal
- Industry Proven Clean-up Technologies Eradicate Existing Malware Infections
- Chameleon Technology Gets Malwarebytes Running on Infected Systems
Compared to all the other spyware and malware detection freeware, Malwarebytes has the highest detection rate and it runs deep and aggressive scans , so i will only recommend this one.
WOT – is an addon toolbar for Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera and Safari which helps you see which websites you can trust based on the rating and experience of the users around the world. You can contribute to the rating by creating an account and help along with the community.
All these freeware are available for the following platforms: Windows XP, VISTA and Windows 7.
If you think i missed a good security software, please feel free to add a comment or contact me.
Cheers and good luck!
- Surf safer, faster and smarter with OpenDNS and WOT (88.6%)
- Protect Your Online Privacy: opt-out and block with Firefox (88.6%)
- EU Cookie law plugins and codes (88.6%)
- Disk analysis (Glary Utilities) – View and delete data from your disk in one click (11.4%)
- Essential 5 freeware utilities every computer running Windows should have (11.4%)