I’ve blogged a lot over the years about online courses, education and other knowledge resources and I am truly amazed by how many websites I can find today compiling and sharing all kind of information for free.
There are many people who have been unfortunate enough and they either have never been to school or they haven’t got the chance to receive a decent education.
These websites I am about to list are some of the greatest around, helping those who missed their chance once by opening a new and amazing world of knowledge. Do enjoy it!
- Khan Academy – It’s difficult to find a description that will do justice to this website. They have tons of courses in exact sciences such as Physics and Chemistry, followed by pure Mathematics and everything else on it, Computer Science, Biology, Cosmology and Astronomy, Economics, Finances, Statistics and so on.
Khan Academy is the king place of all online courses and by far one of the most valuable and priceless websites i have ever been on.
If you love science, then you love Khan Academy.
- Livemocha is my most favorite website for learning languages and they have lots of them. Each level is very structured and very rich in content to learn.
It’s free, but there is some premium content for which you have to pay. Livemocha is fun, easy and very rewarding. Interaction with the users is possible and you can also help others by correcting their homework or simply guide them if you master one or more languages.
- Busuu – You can learn 10 popular languages for free and at your own pace, interact with other users around the world and practice what you’ve learned. Busuu is not as easy to navigate as you’d expected, but once you find your way around.
- Openculture has over 400 courses from top universities so be sure you visit this website.
From the website:
Get free online courses from the world’s leading universities. This collection includes over 250 free courses in the liberal arts and sciences. Download these audio & video courses straight to your computer or mp3 player.
- MIT Open Courseware – Here you can find hundreds and hundreds of free courses, textbooks and downloadable content on just about any topic you can think of.
- Online Education Database – Pick from 200 free online courses and learn at your own pace for free. You can also download the courses as pdf files and save them for later.
- FSI Language courses – although not the best looking website around, FSI offers a lot of free language courses. The materials are available as audio and pdf.
- Doctor Exclusive is not a website offering courses, but it offers a lot of medical information to those curious enough to know more about the most common diseases or medical complications. It’s a great website to begin with if you are interested in general medical issues.
- Merk Manual – Whether you are a doctor or a person who has thirst for knowledge Merk is a must-have, in hardcopy format or as bookmark. This is the best place to run to if you need any kind of information on anything related to your health. Anything you need to know or understand is right there but don’t use it to diagnose yourself. If you have any health issues, make sure you see your doctor.
From the website:
- Explains disorders, who is likely to get them, their symptoms, how they’re diagnosed, how they might be prevented, and how they can be treated; also provides information about prognosis.
- Based on the world’s most widely used textbook of medicine—The Merck Manual—but written in everyday language by 300 outstanding contributors.
- Provided free of charge on the Internet by Merck & Co., Inc., as a public service.